Recently, I had my front door freshened up with a new coat of paint. The final coat of paint went on day before yesterday. We ran into a little problem but finally found the solution…more on that in a sec. I stayed with my beloved, Benjamin Moore “Heritage Red.” I still love that color for a front door.
Since the front door was being repainted, I decided to make a few changes. I decided to remove the brass kick plate visible in the picture below. I love brass and have it all throughout my home, but I felt like the kickplate shortened the look of the door and the door just isn’t that tall to start with since it’s a standard height front door. While you’re checking out the pic below, also note the white outlet cover on brick wall to the right…more on that in a sec.
Here’s how the door looks today. I do like it without the kickplate, now the focus is more on the door and not the so much on the kickplate. Also, the door feels more streamlined, maybe a tad taller.
I still love my Baldwin Brass doorknob, love how the brass looks with the black lanterns I chose when I had the porch built. The brass adds interest and keeps it all from feeling too matchy, matchy. I’m going to add back a door knocker, just haven’t had time to shop for one. My old one isn’t in the greatest shape and I’m ready for something different. I’ve been told to not hang any wreaths or baskets on the door for a while…paint needs time to cure. I so want to dress it up, barely restraining myself!
Oh, the issue we ran into when the kickplate was removed had to do with the tiny holes that had to be patched where the screws held the kickplate in place. The stuff my painter used to patch the holes didn’t take the paint quite the same way as the rest of the door because the patched areas were really smooth.
The trick that finally worked was painting over the patched spots very lightly with a brush witch gave the patched places a consistent finish with the rest of the door. Even though the door was being sprayed, at some point over the years it had been brush painted. So by lightly brush painting the lower area where the kickplate had been, it gave that area a consistent look with the rest of the door. Hope that makes sense and is helpful if you run into a similar situation down the road.
A while back I posted about changing out this white outlet near the door. I never liked how the white color stood out against the brick. One of the little lids broke off at Christmastime when I was trying to plug in a big honking extension cord. That gave me the impetus I needed to go ahead and change out the cover.
In a previous post, I shared changing it for this cover. The new cover will actually expand outward to accommodate large plugs. But those beady white eyes staring out were super annoying. Ha!
So I painted them a dark brown! I mixed some brown and black paint I already had to get a color that was pretty close to the color of the cover.
To further camouflage it, I moved the Kimberly Queen fern back over to this side of the porch. Someone mentioned that in the comments last time I posted about this outlet. In the past the planter had been on this side but on a wild hair I had moved it to the other side thinking it would be less in the way of entering the front door. Honestly, I think it looks a lot better on this side than it does on the other side, so thanks for suggesting that. See, I do listen to you guys! Sometimes. 🙂 It also helps hide the ugly outlet, the outlet that’s a little less ugly now that it’s brown.
Around the time I had the door painted, I came across this stunning door online. Wow! Wow! Wow! Doesn’t it just knock your socks off? The color is another fabulous Benjamin Moore color called Peacock Blue. If I ever decide to change my door color from red, this color would be a leading contender!
Yesterday I shared a little about the mischievous chipmunks with whom I share my yard. I had accidentally gotten a little mulch down inside the doorway to one of their homes and Mr. Chipmunk had shown his disapproval by tossing it out onto the grass.
This morning while talking on the phone, I looked out a front sidelight window and there he was! I grabbed the camera with my zoom lens and tried to take a pic while holding the phone up under my ear. It’s not the clearest pic since I had the phone crammed up under my ear, but I thought you might like seeing this cutie.
Remember the mess he was making in my potted geranium until I mulched it around the top with mulch I had bought for the islands?
Mr. Chipmunk came back this morning to see if the mulch was still there.
I had placed the camera down, so I didn’t capture it, but he quickly climbed up into the pot, saw the mulch was still there and climbed back out. The mulch is really working well to keep him from scattering dirt everywhere. You can tell in the pic below, he has spotted the crazy lady creeping ever closer with the zoom lens. 🙂
Please forgive if you’re seeing some misspelled words in my posts lately. The spell check for wordpress has vanished from my Dashboard and about half the time it doesn’t underline words when they are misspelled. I may have a plugin that’s causing interference. So, please try to overlook the occasional typo while I work to figure out what’s going on or add in another spell-check plugin.