Today, I’m sharing a yummy appetizer I’ve made several times and it is always a big hit. It’s super easy and fast…can’t beat that!
The recipe comes from Paula Deen’s cookbook, The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook. Love this cookbook! It’s filled with lots of good Southern cooking. I’ve also linked to one more of her yummy recipes at the very end of this post…Sweet Potato Chips!
The appetizer I’ve made a couple of times for party is called a Strawberry Cheese Ring. I know, sounds kind of weird, but it really is good. (You’ll find a printable version of this recipe at the end of the post.)
Here are the ingredients you will need…
Just throw them all in your mixer…
The directions say to use wax paper on your hands to shape the cheese ring. That worked pretty well. I’m not sure why but the recipe has you leave it looking like this. I just didn’t like the way it looked, even if it did taste good.
So I added chopped pecans all over the surface. I just think it looks better this way.
Then add your strawberry preserves into the center…and you’re all done! Serve the cheese ring with crackers. The combination of the strawberry preserves with the cheese is really yummy!
Here’s a printable version of this recipe. Enjoy!
- 16 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated (4 cups)
- 1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt or powder
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 cup strawberry preserves
- Combine all ingredients except preserves in a food processor or electric mixer.
- Mix thoroughly and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Scoop mixture onto a platter.
- Use your hands to mold mixture into a ring formation
- Add strawberry preserves in center of ring and serve with crackers
- *Note: When I make this for parties, I also add chopped nuts all over the surface.
If you’re having a smaller gathering, cut the ingredients in half and make a smaller cheese ring. It looks and taste just as yummy.
Pssst: Here’s one more appetizer recipe you may enjoy: Sweet Potato Chips